My calendar is embedded below. If you'd like a meeting with me, please consult this calendar and request the meeting during a time that I'm available. You must request the meeting by emailing me. If you'd like to talk to me about a class that I'm teaching, please feel free to drop by during my office hours, which should be visible in the calendar.
- E59 - Introduction to Signals and Systems fa15
- E79 - Introduction to Systems Engineering fa17 fa16
- E80 - Experimental Engineering sp19 sp18 sp17 sp16
- E85 - Introduction to Digital Design sp15
- E151/3 - Introduction to Analog Design sp19 fa17 fa14
- E155 - Microprocessor Lab fa16 fa15 fa14
- E190V - Energy Efficient Design and Control Theory for Analog Circuits sp15
- E190AK - Radio Frequency Circuit Design sp18
- Requesting Letters of Recommendation
- Building a Printed Circuit Board for Me
- Draw a Circuit for a Report or Presentation
- Access or Use the RF Lab
- Some Free Electrical Engineering Textbooks
Broadly, I'm interested in efficient computation, communication links, and circuits which interact with "weird" physics. Those interests have inspired many of the projects below.
My work at Mudd includes characterizing ground plane noise in PCBs, simulating phase change memory macros, and investigating applications of radio frequency design techniques to underwater communication links.
During my graduate studies I tried to build computers out of tiny mechanical switches (MEMS, for micro-electro-mechanical sytems). An introductory level article on this work was published by IEEE Spectrum. Detailed descriptions of the work are in the papers below.
- Nancy Lape, Lori Bassman, Christopher Clark, Albert Dato, Angela Lee, Matthew Spencer, Erik Spjut, Laura Palucki Blake, Integrating Theory and Hands-On Practice using Underwater Robotics in a Multidisciplinary Introductory Engineering Course. 2017 ASEE Annual Conference, June 2017. (pdf)
- Seungjun Chung, Muhammed Ahosan Ul Karim, Matthew SPencer, Hyuk-Jun Kwon, Costa Grigoropolous, Elad Alon, Vivek Subramanian. Exploitation of the coffee-ring effect to realize mechanically enhanced inkjet-printed microelectromechanical relays with U-bar-shaped cantilevers, Appl. Phys. Lett., vol. 105, no. 26, p. 261901, Dec. 2014. (pdf)
- Tsu-Jae King Liu, Louis Hutin, I-Ru Chen, Rhesa Nathanael, Yenhao Chen, Matthew Spencer, Elad Alon, Recent Progress and Challenges for Relay Logic Switch Technology. VLSI Technology (VLSIT), 2012 Symposium on , June (12-14) 2012. (pdf)
- Jaeseok Jeon, Louis Hutin, Ruzica Jevtic, Nathaniel Liu, Yenhao Chen, Rhesa Nathanael, Wookhyun Kwon, Matthew Spencer, Elad Alon, Borivoje Nikolic, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Multiple-Input Relay Design for More Compact Implementation of Digital Logic Circuits. IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol 33, Iss. 2, Feb. 2012. (pdf)
- Matthew Spencer, Fred Chen, Cheng C. Wang, Rhesa Nathanael, Hossein Fariborzi, Abhinav Gupta, Hei Kam, Vincent Pott, Jaeseok Jeon, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dejan Markovic, Elad Alon, Vladimir Stojanovic, Demonstration of Integrated Micro-Electro-Mechanical Relay Circuits for VLSI Applications. IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, Vol. 46, Iss. 1, Jan. 2011. (pdf)
- Hossein Fariborzi, Matthew Spencer, Vaibhav Karkare, Jaeseok Jeon, Rhesa Nathanael, Chengcheng Wang, Fred Chen, Hei Kam, Vincent Pott, Tsu-Jae King liu, Elad Alon, Vladimir Stojanovic, Dejan Markovic, Analysis and Demonstration of MEM-Relay Power Gating. Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 2010. (pdf)
- Fred Chen, Matthew Spencer, Rhesa Nathanael, Chengcheng Wang, Hossein fariborzi, Abhinav Gupta, Hei Kam, vincent Pott, Jaesok Jeon, Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dejan Markovic, Vladimir Stojanovic, Elad Alon, Demonstration of Integrated Micro-Electro-Mchanical Switch Circuits for VLSI Applications. International Solid State Circuits Conference, 2010. (pdf)
- Fabien Sorin, Ofer Shapira, Ayman F. Abouraddy, Matthew Spencer, Nicholas D. Orf, John D. Joannopoulos and Yoel Fink, Exploiting Collective Effects of Multiple Optoelectronic Devices Integrated in a Single Fiber. Nano Lett., 2009, 9 (7), pp 2630-2635. (pdf)